The Charity Bridge afternoon did not go ahead as not enough people supported it to make it viable.
However, we had a very successful coffee morning and the ladies (helped by donations from the men) raised £900. During the morning, we had a visit from Jo and her son's Assistance dog, Cyril, who spoke to the ladies about the amazing difference the dog had made to their family’s life - this is such a wonderful charity.
The weather has really been against us this year but we have soldiered on and results for the ladies' matches so far are:
- Pearson Team: won against Manor of Groves 5-2 but unfortunately lost against Hadley Wood 3-4
- Scratch Team: played West Herts, resulted in a draw
- Ladies Friendlies: all snowed or rained off, first game this season being played on Monday 9th April against Mid Herts
- Australian Spoons: won by Sarah Staines and Jeannie Taylor who will be representing Verulam at the reginal finals at Hanbury Manor in July.
- Daily Mail Foursomes:Kathy Rodford and Maureen Sinnott won first match at Batchwood, the next round was at Porters Park but Maureen was not well and they had to withdraw.
- Poole Cup: winter singles, won by Tina Bowe runner up Jeannie Taylor
- Crosby League: Silver winner Lol Ashby, Bronze winner Sue Rickard
Angie and I went to WGC to represent Verulam in the County Lady Captains' and Vice Captains' competition - we didn’t win but we had a great day.
Not many Wednesdays have been dry and many of the ladies cannot carry. However, the competitions have gone ahead but with greatly reduced numbers taking part.
I must add that the green staff have done a wonderful job with the course and always where possible have allowed trollies. We are very grateful for that and I know I speak for all the ladies.
Our Spring Meeting is on Wednesday 18th April, so hoping for a dry day and a bit of sunshine would be welcome, it’s a long time coming.
Christine Campbell Ladies’ Captain